ParolesAll through the ale, the confounded ale
All through the ale and tobacco
With a whack fol the day, fol the diddle, fol the day
All through the ale and tobacco.
1. The hat that I have on, it is so greasy gone
And as you can tell by its shining
It used to fasten up with a button and a loop
But now it's all worn out to the lining
2. The coat that I have on, it is so far run down
Without the sleeves and the elbows
It's needing a repair like a soldier in despair
It's been seven years in the battle.
3. The britches I have on, they are so far run down
Me legs are so thin, you can see them
Pockets I have two, but it's so long since they was new
I never have a penny to put in them.
4. Stockings I have two, but never a shoe
Me boots, they are open to all weathers
I pull them off and on 'till the undersoles are gone
And shockingly destroyed the upper leathers.
5. As for me rags, I don't give a jag
I'm not afraid that anyone should rob me
And when I am dead, you can put it on me grave
I left this old world as it found me.