1. In a cavern, in a canyon
Excavating for a mine
Lived a miner forty-niner
And his daughter, Clementine.
Oh, my darling, oh, my darling
Oh, my darling Clementine
You are lost and gone forever
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.
2. Light she was and like a fairy
And her shoes were number nine
Herring boxes without topses
Sandals were for Clementine.
3. Drove she ducklings to the water
Every morning just at nine
Hit her foot against a splinter
Fell into the foaming brine.
4. Ruby lips above the water
Blowing bubbles soft and fine
But, alas, I was no swimmer,
So I lost my Clementine.
5. In a churchyard near the canyon
Where the myrtle doth entwine
There grow roses and the posies
Fertilized by Clementine.
6. Then the miner, forty-niner
Soon began to peak and pine
Thought he oughter join his daughter
Now he's with his Clementine.
7. In my dreams she still doth haunt me
Robed in garments soaked in brine
Though in life I used to hug her
Now she's dead, I'll draw the line.
8. How I missed her, how I missed her
How I missed my Clementine
Till I kissed her little sister
And forgot my Clementine.